Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Jethro Tule


I just got back from lunch in Avon, CO, my temporary home. So here I am sitting on the deck of the Loaded Joe's coffee/pub soaking up some CO sun and sipping on a tasty double americano when a dude rolls up on a beater single speed commuter. He seemed a bit disgruntled and I noticed his chain was very loose. "What happened to your whip" I asked. "Dude, my rear hub nut things came loose, do you have a wrench bro." "No bro-bra, but in case you're not privy to rear hub nut thing sizing, what you'll need is a 15mm dude." The dude said thanks and moved along his way. After the amusing encounter I reminisced to my early days of single speeding before the advent of quick release compatible sliding reardroppouts. When our horizontal dropout redline monocog posse would go ride someone would always have to bring a 15mm craftsman open-end wrench in case of hub nut thing slippage or a flat. I remember always lusting for a Surly product called the Jethro Tule; a stubby unit with a 15mm wrench on one end and a bottle opener on the other. It fits in your back pouch and in traditional Surly tradition it's built like a tank. So for all you surly, mangy, hairy chested, beer swilling, unkept single speed bro bra dudes, I highly recommend the Jethro Tule. And after you finish with the business end, flip that bitch over and pop a beer with the party end.

2 comments:

Jeffro said...

Personally, I roll with an mini-ajustable wrench that came in a $5 tool kit from ace (so, worth less than $1). It works for any size nut. I am alwys hesitant to go for a 15 dollar tool that only does 1.5 things.

Doug Dale said...

Jeff,
I could have purchased another cheap bike or a cheap BBQ and they would both work fine. But I pissed off a bunch of money on an expensive bike and a commercial BBQ and when I use either I get a big smile knowing they're better built, will last longer, and are more fun to use. Same goes with the jethro tule. Cranking down on a nut has never been so much fun.

Doug